Black Tourmaline Pendant
- A rough carved stone, Black Tourmaline and topped by silver tone metal. Mix tourmaline stones trail down the front. Each pendant is one of a kind and will vary slightly. No cord. Approx 2"
- Black Tourmaline is a powerful stone, with a long
history among many cultures of providing protection during ritual work. It can be used for scrying, and was traditionally used to point out a cause of trouble or an offender, and to indicate a good direction in which to move. This article explores not only Black Tourmaline and it’s use as a psychic shield, an electric stone, a luck talisman and more; but the second half of the article explores how it works in combination with quartz.
- Black Tourmaline is best known as a grounding and protection stone. It has the following associations:
- Element: Earth
Deity: Manat, the Arabian Goddess of Waning Moon, Time, Destiny and Death.
Astrological: Capricorn and Libra
- Today Black Tourmaline is still revered as a premier talisman of protection. Think of it as a psychic shield deflecting and dispelling negative energies, entities, or destructive forces. Or you might think of it as a lightening rod, taking any negative energy and grounding it into Mama earth where she can transform it back into pure potential. It promotes a sense of power and self-confidence, allowing for a clearer, more objective view of the world. Black tourmaline is empowering to those who must live or work in challenging environments or when facing difficult circumstances.
- Black tourmaline is an interesting energetic stone. Scientists worldwide have long been intrigued by the unique electrical and magnetic properties of tourmaline. American statesman and inventor Benjamin Franklin, possessed at least one tourmaline stone and is said to have used it in his experiments (he invented the lightening rod). In Europe in 1880, Pierre Curie and his brother Jacques, a mineralogist, discovered that tourmaline carries a weak electric charge when it is heated (pyroelectricity) or when pressure is applied to its surface (piezoelectricity). Later, research in Japan confirmed that tourmaline carries a faint but constant electric charge of 0.06mA, which is why tourmaline continues to be known as “the electric stone,” especially in Asia. Japanese researchers also found that no matter how small tourmaline is ground or crushed, it is still capable of conveying an electric current.
- How does the black tourmaline work? It help your body towards homeostasis – the state when your body is working perfectly and everything is in balance. Black tourmaline is said to be one of the best grounding stones because it helps you remain in the grounding circuit of the earth’s electromagnetic field. It also seems to have a constant clearing effect on the Chakras, drawing and grounding any negative energies.